GRD High School was established in early 1954 by Mrs Neena Thapa, wife of Colonel Gopal Kushal Singh Thapa, then Commandant GRD, Kunraghat. The school got its affiliation to CBSE in 1968 up to class VIII, in the name of “ Neena Thapa Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kunraghat. The School was upgraded to class X in 1980 and renamed as “GRD High School, Kunraghat”. On 01 Apr 1994 it was re-designated as “Army School, Kunraghat” after dissolution of the existing Gorkha Recruiting Depot (GRD) High School and absorption of its students. The premises and assets of GRD High School in situ were transferred to Army School, Kunraghat. From the time Army School was raised it has made very consistent and deliberate efforts to reach its present state. In 1995 Arts and Science Stream at (+2) level were started. The year 1998 observed the commencement of Commerce stream at (+2) level and introduction of informatics practices. Computer education became a compulsory subject for all students w.e.f 1998. In 2004 Computer Science was introduced at (+2) level. The starting of Humanities stream at (+2) level in 2007 marked the adoption of all the three stream. In academic session 2008-09, the school started Physical Education as additional subject at (+2) level.
Children School at Kunraghat sanctioned in MWP 2005-06 for strength of 2200 children. The School shifted to its new building in Jul 2009 and re-designated as Army Public School, Kunraghat.
The school is located on NH-28 near GRD, Kunraghat Cantt., Gorakhpur.